Have you ever had a spray and wipe moment when you are unexpectedly having dinner guests in a couple of hours? This is the kind of recipe that you need in your corner. It is fantastic for feeding a crowd and it is the kind of food that you know everyone will love.
My secret to these meatballs is in the sausages. Find a great butcher who takes pride in their sausages and you are on a winner. Marino Meat in the Adelaide Central Market is my butcher of choice, check out their facebook page for a peek at meat and smallgood heaven. If you don't have a fantastic butcher then add in some extra herbs and spices.
Serve the meatballs with a simple, well dressed green salad and finish the meal with a winning chocolate indulgence like my flourless chocolate cake or my super simple but impressive chocolate fondants and you will have friends for life.
The Best (& easiest) Baked Meatballs - Serves 12
1kg Awesome Sausages (I use chilli porchetta)
500g Veal mince
1 tsp dried chilli (or to taste)
1 tsp fennel seeds
3/4 cup semolina
Optional garlic & finely chopped onion
2 Tins chopped tomatoes or equivalent of your own tomato passata (I'll teach you how to make it at Kitchen Bootcamp)
1 Tbs Italian herbs
1 cup milk
Pasta or Zucchini noodles + parmesan cheese to serve
Other combinations to try
- 1 kg chicken mince + 250g thawed, drained & chopped frozen spinach + 100g pinenuts or slivered almonds + 100g good basil pesto
- Italian sausages + beef mince + 100g olive tapenade/pureed kalamata olives + dried chilli + paprika
- Merguez sausages + lamb mince + 2 tsp all spice + switch the semolina for cooked cous cous
- Lamb sausages + beef mince + 75g chopped olives + 100g crumbled feta cheese + dried oregano + fresh dill
- 1.2kg turkey mince + 2 large grated carrots + switch the semolina for 1.5 cups cooked jasmine rice + Tandoori paste added to taste (amount will vary depending on brand but 3-4 Tbs) + chopped fresh coriander
These are the kinds of tricks and tips I will be teaching you at Kitchen Bootcamp. Class kicks off online tomorrow. You don't want to miss out!